Website Ross University School of Medicine
This Jobsfunter Listing is about Ross University School of Medicine in Bridgetown, England, United Kingdom 2022
About the job
Opportunity at a Glance
Ross University School of Medicine, slated to permanently relocate the Medical Sciences campus to Bridgetown, Barbados in January 2019, invites applications for a Student Development Specialist, Campus Life in the Department of Student Affairs. The academic center will leverage existing facilities in the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Center, which is centrally located in the vibrant capital city.
Ross University School of Medicine is a member of Adtalem Global Education (NYSE: ATGE), a global education provider headquartered in the United States. The organization’s purpose is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Founded in 1978, Ross is committed to educating a diverse group of skilled physicians to serve as leaders in the U.S. healthcare system. With more than 16,000 alumni, Ross is an important contributor to healthcare in North America. Students complete their foundational studies in Barbados, West Indies, before completing their clinical training in one of Ross’s affiliated teaching hospitals throughout the United States.
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year.
This role reports to the Director of Engagement and has primary responsibility in four main areas:
- Design, implement and evaluate campus-wide programming, out of classroom activities and experiences, and direct supervision of the Campus Life/SGA Office, Campus Life Programming Spaces, and Campus Life staff;
- Co-Advisor to Student Government Association (SGA): Provides regular assistance and oversight to SGA and all student groups (averaging 50+ a semester) in the implementations of their tasks, responsibilities and programs;
- Social media and Web content manager for Campus Life and SGA, ensuring all pages have current information, resources, pictures, etc. and developing innovative resources to support communication and development of RUSM Medical Science Students.
The Student Development Specialist, Campus Life works in partnership with SGA and with all areas of Student Affairs to create and implement programs and opportunities that enrich students’ overall educational experience and contribute to their personal and professional development.
- Oversight of New Student Arrival, Orientation, and Welcome Week. This includes supervision of welcome leaders and student ambassadors to assist with the transition of new students to RUSM and Barbados.
- Utilizing a coaching and mentoring approach provide supervision, staff evaluation and staff development in a positive manner.
- Assess need and deliver staff development /growth opportunities that will enhance the level of service and programs carried out by Campus Life department; organize and lead team meetings and department retreat
- Budget responsibility for Campus Life and SGA; provides supervision and tracking of petty cash for both Campus Life and SGA and works with SGA Secretary to manage SGA local bank account including tracking of all expenditures for audit purposes.
- Act as a liaison in working with outside vendors in developing and supporting Campus Life/ Student Affairs programing.
- Develop partnerships within the larger Barbados community to connect students and student groups with opportunities for community engagement.
- Co-Advisor to SGA. Use student leadership development approaches to support the professional development of SGA members. Maintain regular contact with student leaders to resolve problems and develop responsible decision-making; assessing student interests, respond to student needs, anticipate student programming/leadership issues. Focus on day to day administration and SGA programmatic advisement and oversight (i.e. Beach Bash, Culture Show, Farewell Banquet, Elections). Support SGA members in the transition to new roles.
- Oversees New Student Orientation including overall vision of the program in conjunction with academic and student affairs leadership, preparation and communication of NSO and Welcome Week schedule to students and presenters; hiring, training, and supervision of Welcome Week student leaders.
- Works with ATL and Faculty Mentors to support student engagement within the Living Learning Community within RUSM Housing.
- Provides leadership and direction to student groups, and their advisors, in planning, implementing events and programs, and managing expenditures; planning trainings and ‘start up’ meetings each semester.
- Manages student affairs facilities such as the Campus Activity Center, intramural & sport fields, acquires equipment, maintains inventory and arranges event logistics.
- Maintains vibrant intramural sports program. Includes working closely with the SGA Sports Coordinator, Commissioners and captains and updates to the sports rule book.
- Works with the Ross Housing department and Student Development Specialist – Programs in hiring, training, and scheduling students for Welcome Committee.
- Social Media / Web and data management duties include:
- Administrative duties of the Room Reservation System
- Administrative duties/ managing content for Campus Life department and SGA web pages, Facebook Pages, and Twitter accounts
- Contribute to the updates for the RUSM Student Handbook & Academic Catalog; recommend, implement, and where applicable enforce policies and procedures as they relate to the student experience and environment.
- Act as a liaison with other University and external groups; and participate in department/division activities, meetings, committees and seminars related to student affairs matters.
- Collect and maintain statistics and data that will drive quality improvement and provide for program evaluation.
- As needed: evening and weekend ‘on-call’ duties for Student Affairs as related to SGA and Campus Life activities.
- Completes other duties as assigned
This position is a designated Campus Security Authority.
- Master’s Degree in a field to perform the job successfully (prefer a degree in higher education administration, college personal, human development, counseling or closely related field).
- Knowledge of and/or experience in student activities, student government, student unions, study abroad programs, graduate programs, advising, orientation and transition programs, etc.
An Individual Should Demonstrate The Following Competencies
- Leadership – with a coaching and mentoring approach
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
- Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict; Maintains confidentiality; Responds calmly to stressful situations/incidents.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively; Writes clearly and informatively.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of social media systems; Microsoft Office Suites; data management systems
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
As an organization dedicated to educating the healthcare leaders of tomorrow and empowering members to make inspiring contributions to our global community, we know that it is our responsibility to lead by example and continue minimizing the risks of spreading COVID-19. Employment at Adtalem and/or its subsidiaries requires compliance with the organization’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, to the extent permitted by the laws of your country, province/state, and/or local area. All employees in areas of the world that permit mandatory COVID-19 vaccination are required to be fully vaccinated within 60 days of their date of hire unless they receive an exemption from Adtalem’s HR Coaching Resource Center because of issues such as access or an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Ross University offers a competitive benefits package, including relocation assistance to and from Barbados, a retirement program, health care benefits, and a generous annual leave program. We also offer opportunities for professional development. We are proud to be an EEO/M/F/D/V employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply, please visit our website www.rossu.edu; select Careers and complete our online application process.
Who We Are
With more than 14,000 alumni practicing throughout North America,Ross University School of Medicine has been providing students with the foundation to pursue successful careers in medicine since 1978. The Ross experience is “Dedita Scientiae Medendi” – dedicated to the science of healing – and we are proud of our rich tradition of preparing students for their life’s work as physicians. Students complete medical sciences coursework at our new world-class campus in Barbados, followed by clinical education in the United States at leading teaching hospitals across the country.
Ross is proud to fulfill a social mission by educating a diverse group of skilled doctors who practice primary care, work in medically underserved areas, and are more representative overall of the communities in which they serve. Learn more about Ross University School of Medicine, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.medical.rossu.edu .
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We pride ourselves in nurturing a culture that encourages everyone to bring their full selves to work each day. To us, diversity and inclusion needs to be intentional to be impactful. We don’t just welcome differences, we celebrate them. #WeAreAdtalem
To learn more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, click here to visit our Diversity page.
Company: Ross University School of Medicine
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Internship
Job Location: Bridgetown, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A