Website Human Rights Watch
Jobsfunter is listing this job opening under Human Rights Watch in Berlin 2022 exclusively on jobsfunter.com
FIXED-TERM, FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Research Assistant, Violence against Women
Women’s Rights Division
Multiple Locations Considered
Application Deadline: December 18, 2022
The Women’s Rights Division of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking a Research Assistant to support the work of the Women’s Rights Division, with a particular focus on advancing protections against violence and harassment at work around the world.
This is a one-year, fixed-term position. The successful candidate will preferably be based in a city where HRW has an office and will report to a Senior Researcher in the Women’s Rights Division.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely as local mandates necessitate. We recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
- Provide research, advocacy, and administrative assistance to Senior Women’s Rights Division Researchers including desk research and phone interviews;
- Develop contacts with and help to build and maintain relationships with organizations, trade unions, activists, and local and international officials; facilitate meetings with NGOs, government officials, and other individuals for research and advocacy;
- Assist Senior Researchers in monitoring, collecting, and analyzing information from a wide variety of sources primarily on sexual and gender-based violence and discrimination, including laws and policies in different countries relating to harassment at work and the status of ratifications of the International Labour Organization’s (ILO)Convention on Violence and Harassment, as well as doing research on other women’s rights issues;
- Under the guidance of WRD staff, provide background briefings, written analyses, and, when appropriate, first drafts of briefing papers, letters, news releases, submissions to international bodies, and other HRW products;
- Assist WRD staff on identifying advocacy opportunities at regional and global forums, and on designing, coordinating, and implementing research-based advocacy campaigns;
- Assist WRD staff in designing and facilitating webinars and other online events;
- Under the guidance of WRD staff, help develop social media strategies including writing concise, engaging, and legally accurate posts for use on HRW’s social media accounts;
- Assist WRD staff in building and maintaining a media list including journalists and influencers; and
- Perform other tasks, as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in international relations, law, journalism, communications, public relations, social sciences or studies or a related discipline, or equivalent working experience, is required.
Experience: A minimum of one (1) year of experience conducting research, preferably for an NGO, trade union, media outlet, or institution, is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having good planning and organizing skills, self-motivated, and ability to work under pressure is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within HRW as well as with external partners and the media is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required. Proficiency in Arabic, French, or Portuguese is desirable.
- Good communication skills, especially how to communicate complicated information in a concise and clear manner is required.
- Knowledge of or a demonstrated commitment to women’s rights, preferably regarding gender-based violence and labor rights is required.
- Strong initiative and follow-through, the capacity to think creatively and strategically, excellent writing and editing skills is required.
- Experience working with labor movements or knowledge of labor rights are desirable.
Other: Applicants must possess valid work authorization in the location they would like to be based. Human Rights Watch is not able to sponsor work authorization for this role.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. If this position were to be based in the United States, the salary range would be USD 60,000-70,000. Salary ranges outside of the United States vary based on location.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by December 18, 2022, by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a cover letter and resume/CV. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have difficulty completing your application submission, or if you require a disability-related accommodation to submit your application, please reach out to [email protected] Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of governments and international institutions.
Company: Human Rights Watch
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Berlin
Application Deadline: N/A