Website Canada Revenue Agency
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced details of its plans to require vaccination across the federal public service. As a separate and large federal employer, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) supports and will follow this new policy direction.
- Conducts investigations into financial schemes of taxpayers suspected of tax evasion in complex cases of domestic and international tax fraud schemes, with a forensic approach, employing current and/or innovative investigative techniques and tools.
- Assists the PPSC lawyers in fulfilling the legal requirement to disclose all relevant information, documents and materials to the taxpayer and their counsel, in the preparation of evidence and witnesses for trial where fraudulent actions or financial benefits associated with tax evasion has been discovered and documented, acts as the primary witness in court regarding the conduct of the investigation and with the enforcement of court ordered sentences including fines.
- Establishes the theory of proof, conducts interviews, evaluates witnesses, procures, preserves and weighs all evidence and defences to determine whether a criminal prosecution recommendation is warranted and prepares a prosecution report including recommendations to the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC).
- Initiative and judgment are required in preparing audit plans or following the audit plan prepared by the supervisor; incorporating changes made in a timely manner; and ensuring that audits comply with the standardized file assembly policy.
- Effectively deal with controversial and contentious taxpayer interactions. Situations range from tolerance to hostility from taxpayers and/or their representatives resulting from strong differences of opinion due to such issues as: large amounts of money involved, agreeing on facts, no jurisprudence, conflicting legal precedents, and/or different interpretations of the Income Tax Act (ITA) or Excise Tax Act (ETA)
- The work requires presenting, substantiating and/or clarifying the position of the CRA with regard to civil court cases, advising Department of Justice (DOJ) of important points to be addressed, identifying methods that legal staff might utilize in arguing the case in court, and alerting them when an unexpected matter has come up in court; the work may require attending an examination for discovery or court at the request of the Appeals Branch or DOJ.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience demonstrated in your application questionnaire will be used at the screening for prerequisites stage and may be used at the assessment stage to assist the staffing board in evaluating a candidate’s requirements for the position. Assessment results may be used at appointment to select candidate(s) for employment opportunities.
Company: Canada Revenue Agency
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Calgary, CA
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org