Registered Nurse (RN) – Behavioral Health vacancy in Bon Secours Petersburg, VA
Website Bon Secours
This Jobsfunter Listing is about Bon Secours in Petersburg, VA 2022
About the job
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
- 10K BONUS ELIGIBLE – RULES and RESTRICTIONS APPLY***
Summary Of Primary Function/General Purpose Of Position
The Behavioral Health Registered Nurse (RN) functions as a care provider of a multidisciplinary care team responsible for the delivery of comprehensive patient care utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation through evidence-based practices, policies, procedures, guidelines of the organization, and within the State’s Nurse Practice Act. The RN provides a safe and therapeutic environment for patients by managing the milieu and ensuring patient care is delivered in an individualized manner, expressing dignity and respect for each patient. The RN collaborates with providers and treatment team members to ensure the achievement of desired patient outcomes.
Essential Job Functions
- In collaboration with members of interdisciplinary teams, establish goals and strategies for meeting the discharge or continuing care needs with the patient.
- Collects and records the nursing assessment of the physical and behavioral health status of the patient.
- Effectively communicate assessment information, the nursing component, and all modifications of the plan of care to appropriate members of the treatment team and interdisciplinary team.
- Applies effective interviewing skills to elicit information from patient and/or family/significant other that is necessary to plan and implement the treatment plan.
- Develops, maintains, or modifies the individualized treatment plan of care.
- Executes the treatment plan as developed by the provider and interdisciplinary team members.
- Continuously evaluates the patient’s response to the nursing interventions, quality of patient care, and caring environment to ensure optimal patient outcomes are met.
- Participates in the safe management of the milieu, intervening effectively with patients who are having coping difficulty, utilizing therapeutic prevention/intervention techniques.
- Acts as the patient advocate.
- BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care by the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current RN License in the state in which they are working or covered by a compact (required)
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from the approved source before direct patient care)
PALS Pediatric Advanced Life Support (required for Pediatric BH Units)
Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred)
1 year of RN experience (required)
Recent Behavioral Health Experience (preferred)
De-Escalation Training (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) Training (preferred)
- Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge, and scope of practice of staff.
- Orients, facilitates learning experience and provides education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and implementation) to nursing staff and others.
- Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care by the current standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
- Performs comprehensive assessment of patient’s clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their support resources.
- Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plans of care.
- Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
- Assesses patient’s physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate the effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises the plan of care accordingly.
- Assists patient and family in coping with patient’s illness.
- Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
- Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
- Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
- Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
- Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
- Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
- Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
- Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
- Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can understand considering their personal preferences.
- Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
- Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an emergency.
- Knowledge of Psychology, Mental Health, and Behavioral Health
- Ability to set clear boundaries
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
General office environment
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/tape recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity – far
Acuity – near
Use of Latex Gloves
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x-ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
As a faith-based and patient-focused organization, Bon Secours exists to enhance the health and well-being of all people in mind, body, and spirit through exceptional patient care. Success in this goal requires a culture of compassion, collaboration, excellence, and respect. Bon Secours seeks people that are committed to our values of compassion, human dignity, integrity, service, and stewardship to create an environment where associates want to work and help communities thrive.
Registered Nurse (RN) – Psychiatric – Bon Secours Health Southside Regional Medical Center
The Psychiatric Registered Nurse (RN) position is responsible for delivering exceptional nursing care to patients by:
- Utilizing strong organizational and leadership skills to assess patient status
- Implementing clinical nursing interventions
- Having a highly diverse medical skillset
- Developing and performing patient care plans to enhance and improve outcomes
- Ensuring a safe and therapeutic environment
- Provide direct patient care according to the provider’s prescribed plan of care (and nursing scope of practice) while closely monitoring progressecovery
- Assess and documents the patient’s conditions and report changes as needed
- Administer medication, insulin, and IV/fluids, documenting thoroughly
- Inspect and care for wounds, change dressings and assist with personal hygiene
- Applies effective interviewing skills to elicit information from patient and/or family/significant other that is necessary to plan and implement the treatment plan
- Assess patient for further injuries, infections, bedsores, etc. and deliver appropriate treatments
- Collaborate with providers, aides, and allied health professionals to ensure exceptional patient outcomes
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited Associates degree or Bachelors degree in Nursing
- Current state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) – American Heart Association
- PALS Pediatric Advanced Life Support (required for Pediatric BH Units)
- One (1) year of professional experience practicing as a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Recent Behavioral Health experience (preferred, not required)
- EPIC Electronic Health Record training (preferred, not required)
- De-Escalation Training (preferred, not required)
Bon Secours is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll Also Reward Your Hard Work With
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Adult Mental Health – Southside RMC – Petersburg
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email [email protected] If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]
Company: Bon Secours
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Associate
Job Location: Petersburg, VA
Application Deadline: N/A