Certified Medical Assistant Positions in Bon Secours Richmond, VA
Website Bon Secours
This Jobsfunter Listing is about Bon Secours in Richmond, VA 2022
About the job
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
Summary Of Primary Function/General Purpose Of Position
The Medical Assistant Certified is a multi-skilled clinical professional that provides indirect and/or direct patient care within the scope of practice and in alignment with the standards of excellence and quality. Under the direction of the provider, the Medical Assistant contributes to the completion of the patient’s chief complaint (including, but not limited, to respirations, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, height, weight, and temperature), documents patient/family needs, participates in planning and implementing care for patients, and administers ordered medications (oral, injection, topically, etc.) within the Medical Assisting scope and state guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
- Understands and adheres to the legal responsibilities and requirements within the Medical Assistant role.
- Identifies significant changes in patient condition through data collection and reports them to the provider.
- Troubleshoots issues and escalate problems to provider, direct supervisor, or appropriate internal resource.
- Demonstrates standards of excellence in care in all interactions, for both internal and external customers.
- Maintains clinical and administrative skills per the departmental competency guidelines to meet patient care and daily operational needs.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Travels to other facilities for BSMH providers or adjusts hours to meet patient care needs as directed by the practice manager as needed.
- Maintains a safe and supportive environment by keeping the work area, exam rooms, and equipment in clean, orderly, and safe manner, ensuring availability and proper functioning of supplies and equipment.
- Assists patient and provider with virtual health visits which may include setting up the visit through appropriate platform, pre-charting the virtual visit prior to the scheduled appointment, contacting the patient to ensure preparedness for the virtual visit, troubleshooting virtual visit issues when needed, obtaining chief complaint and health maintenance checks, medication review, and other relevant patient details prior to the actual virtual visit.
- Documents in electronic medical records (EMR) accurately and appropriately.
- Manages in basket messages in the electronic health record (EHR) under the Provider’s verbatim instructions.
- Performs front desk workflows (i.e., My Chart requests, patient registration, scheduling, phone triage, cash handling, and check-in/check-out).
- Follows up on orders, appointments, referrals, and follow up visits and collects co-pays as needed.
- Other duties include, but not limited to, ordering supplies appropriately, tracking referrals, labs and diagnostic tests, disposing of contaminated supplies, etc.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Active Medical Assisting certification (required): Certified Medical Assistant (American Association of Medical Assisting), Registered Medical Assistant (American Medical Technologists), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (National Healthcareer Association, or National Certified Medical Assistant (National Center for Competency Testing). If incumbent is unable to obtain MA certification, an Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry (ABR-OE) is acceptable.
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, required within 90 days of hire)
High School/GED (required)
1 year of medical assisting experience in a healthcare setting (preferred)
2 Years Of Clerical Physician Practice Experience (preferred)
- Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Collect blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Provide authorized prescription and drug refill information for pharmacies as directed by provider.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians’ instructions to patients.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Perform routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
- Perform general office duties, such as answering telephones, taking dictation, or completing insurance forms.
- Successfully completes skills or competency checklists to be able to help physicians examine and treat patients, performing such tasks as handing them instruments, giving injections, removing sutures, changing dressings on wounds.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaboratively work with patients, families, and teams within a high-volume environment.
- Medical terminology
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to use standard office equipment (i.e. computer, copier, phone, fax machine)
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be exposed to adverse weather conditions; cold, hot, dust, wind, etc.
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
General office environment
Required to car travel to off-site locations, occasionally in adverse weather conditions
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.) 1-33%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 1-33%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 1-33%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 1-33%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity – far
Acuity – near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Neonates (0-4 weeks)
Infant (1-12 months)
Pediatrics (1-12 years)
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
Bon Secours is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll Also Reward Your Hard Work With
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email [email protected] If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]
Company: Bon Secours
Vacancy Type: Full-time · Entry level
Job Location: Richmond, VA
Application Deadline: N/A